For our April monthly meeting, we have two presentations planned which you will find below. The meeting will start at 6:30 in the Paladin Inc offices. For meeting directions and info go to the Meetings link above.
- Tom Woestman - Application Logic Management: While developing an internal travel application servicing over 14,000 trips a year, we found we needed to manage a complex web of roles and states to determine whether a particular user may perform operations such as: submit the travel request to the next approval step, cancel a travel request, send the travel request back for more information, etc. After initially creating the complex web of logic to manage this complex set of criteria, we developed an alternative approach that moved handling the logic of this from the programmer to the business analyst and made updating this logic trivial. I would like to share this approach with you and hope that you find it as useful as we do.
- Robert Gatti - Database Indexes: One of the too often overlooked performance bottlenecks with database driven applications comes from either the lack of use, or the misuse of database indexes. Robert will be showing some examples of how proper database indexing can benefit your systems. The examples will be using MS SQL Server, but the principles apply to most DBMS.
I look forward to seeing you all there.
Posted on April 13, 2009 | Read More »
March Monthly Meeting - Tuesday March 10, 2009 - Dave Shuck on Painting Yourself Out of a Procedural Corner
Make sure to join us Tuesday, March 10 for our regular monthly meeting. Dave Shuck will be presenting "Painting Yourself Out of a Procedural Corner". The is a real world example of how an organically growing procedural application can become a maintenence nightmare, and how using objects and inheritance can help solve a real world problem. This is not about frameworks, or application flow, but how using business objects can lower your blood pressure!
As always, our first hour will be devoted to "intro" ColdFusion topics. the following topics are the slate for this meeting :
- Stopping form spam without making your users do the work.
- Using a simple bean, how to get data, set data, and return snapshots of the data.
See you there!
Posted on March 5, 2009 | Read More »
Adobe is delighted to offer the Dallas Ft. Worth ColdFusion User Group (DFWCFUG) members special pricing on Adobe software. Place your order before March 2, 2009, in order to save 20% on all Adobe products in the North America online Adobe Store.
Here are the simple steps required to get your discount:
1) Visit http://www.adobe.com/go/
2) A custom Adobe Store URL with an embedded coupon code will be e-mailed to you.
3) The custom URL can be used only one time, and only by the requester. Additional program terms and conditions are detailed at the URL referenced above.
If you have additional questions or would prefer to place your order by phone, contact Adobe at 800-585-0774.
Posted on February 17, 2009 | Read More »